Dr Cheng is currently an Allergist and Rheumatologist in private practice at Gleneagles Medical Centre & Farrer Park Hospital (Singapore).
Dr Cheng received his basic medical training at the National University of Singapore. He began his specialist training in Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. Thereafter, he was awarded a scholarship by the Singapore Ministry of Health to train at the Mayo Clinic of Rochester, Minnesota, (U.S.A.) in 2004. He then served as Consultant Physician at the Department of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital (Singapore) before leaving for private practice. He has been performing high-resolution musculoskeletal ultrasound and ultrasound guided procedures since 2004 in his daily clinical practice. He is the current Singapore Ambassador for the Target Ultrasound Initiative.
Despite his hectic schedule in private practice, Dr Cheng remains a visiting consultant to both National University Hospital and Changi General Hospital where he continues public service developing the specialty of allergy and rheumatology.
Dr Cheng is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine with the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, where he continues to teach both undergraduate and postgraduate students. He has also authored several major research publications in both rheumatology and allergy.
Dr Cheng is also an active member of several regional and international societies. These include:
- Member, Chapter of Rheumatologists, College of Physicians Singapore
- Vice President, Singapore Society of Rheumatology
- Member, Allergy and Clinical Immunology Society (Singapore)
- Vice Chairman, Section of Allergy, Academy of Medicine
- International Fellow, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
- International Fellow, American College of Rheumatology
- Past President (2008 to 2010), Asthma and Allergy Association
- Director, Asia Pacific League against Rheumatism (APLAR)
- Director, Farrer Park Hospital (Singapore)